Saturday, July 18, 2009

Note: this is not knitting group, it's a 70.3. Suck it up and deal.

I am sitting on the couch with my husband's silk sweater (he's going to kill me soon) over my legs, with ice bags on my knees and shins, and one on my lower back. This is all in an attempt to walk tomorrow, upright. :) Oh, and to get my ride and run in tomorrow in a mostly painless fashion.

Not much new has been going on...just work, more work, training and more training. I got the flu this week for a few days and missed work AND training. It was kind of nice to have an entire day off. It meant more work, though. Go figure. I didn't have to make up for the training.

This morning I had a killer swim. Our coach's team hosted an open water swim race this morning. I did the race a month ago and finished the mile in 29 something. Finished it in 25:36 today. Quite the improvement. It took ALOT of self talk. Even so, I about drowned when I saw my time. I wasn't expecting that much improvement in only 4 weeks. Training with Pete is helping me sooo much. Just another instance of "the plan" beieng validated. :) Pete's working. I'm working. The plan is working. YAY!

Had a nice 12 mile run today, too. Hello, WTF is up with ALL the hills in CO? I took a course backwards today, not thinking about THE HILL in it. OOPS. Big ass mother f-ing hill!! I ran it, and am a better runner for it, but it was NOT my idea of a fun time....

I hurt now. Does everyone's knees hurt after 11 miles? It gets better and takes longer to hurt each week, so I guess my body is adjusting. I've had to adopt a new motto: BRING THE PAIN. Sounds dumb, but pain is a reality of triathlon, and as soon as I accept that, I will be a better triathlete. So when I start hurting or bitching out, I say to omyself BRING THE PAIN, and it reminds me that this is triathlon and I will either suck it up and hurt, or I will be a fucking loser. No one wants to be a fucking loser. I especially do not want to be a fucking loser. That's my final answer. Today was proof that I can hurt WAY MORE than I let myself get to. In the swim, I pushed myself hard and let myself hurt, but kept going. The pack in front of my probably hurt, too, but they were swimming. JUST KEEP SWIMMING, JUST KEEP SWIMMING.

Just a few weeks until Boulder Long Course, my first 70.3. I REALLY REALLY want to finish in a decent time, but I will take a finish in the time allowed. Pete said if I finish in 8 hours, we should be scared. If I come in around 7, not so much to be scared about. No stress for my first real endurance event, right? Again, this is triathlon, not knitting. People don't have time to sit around and wait for a bunch of people to take their time, stopping and visiting with others, to come through the finish line. How selfish of me to want to consume all of the volunteers' weekend day so I don't have to have a fucking meltdown about making a certain time. Huhmp.

On a more positive note, Eric and I are scheduled for a 2010 vacation of a lifetime. Something good, outside of an awesome paycheck, has come from his year of traveling.

Ok, he's out here now, so it's time to watch Donnie Darko. Laters.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Glad you are feeling better and not sick anymore! Yes, if I were running miles of hills, I'd hurt a lot and definitely be ice bathing it. Happy training tomorrow!