Monday, May 5, 2008

City Road Training

I really don't like cycling on roads with cars, and stop lights, and cross walks, and pedestrians. To make matters more frustrating, I have laryngitis--so I can't tell people I'm "On the left!" But, on the bright side, I got out on my bike and rode her, him, it..I don't know yet. "It's" not named. I hadn't considered naming a bike until Duane was talking about naming his. (There is bird seed ALL over our front porch---damn birds! We bought the birdfeeder to draw birds, which happens to keep our Bengals entertained all day (it's like a really good movie for cats), becasue we thought it would be an endearing energy to add to our house. Needless to say, there is bird shit all over our front porch and seed scattered EVERYWHERE, but I get a warm spot in my heart when I see the little shits.) Anyway, my ride was slow. Clip in, clip out, cross the street. Clip in, clip out, use the brakes, hit the walk sign, clip in. That's the way it went and I don't like it. I have yet to actually FALL, but today I came damn close! I rode up to a cross walk and couldn't decide if I was going to try to beat the car across or not. I ended up not trying, but I also was almost stopped by the time I realized I needed my foot free. Luckily my shoe came out with a little sideways thrashing action. Then, later, about a mile down the road, I was stopped and needed my left foot (usually kept clipped in), and didn't realize it was clipped in. Survived that too.

Do you realize that street (sidewalks mostly for me still) are filled with glass!!! People!!! Keep your stupid drunk asses at home, and that will keep the glass off the sidewalks for the cyclists! Deal?? No Deal?? Is that your final answer??

But, I did manage to ride ON the road with cars, too. It was scary, but necessary. I kept wondering if some jackass was going to try to hit me for points. I used to hate cyclists, too, but I never HIT one! Especially for points! What a stoooopid thing to do.

I should go do my homework. Only 5 more weeks and then I am FREE to be a REAL triathlete without the burden of 100 page papers and classes and worries.

No comments: